Veganism is a lifestyle and dietary choice that seeks to exclude all forms of animal use, including the use of animals for food will lead to hair loss. Vegan’s or vegetarian’s diet has fewer amount of vitamins and nutrients and they do not consume meat, dairy products, eggs, or other animal-derived products which contains enough vitamins and nutrients necessary for hair, so these reasons will result in hair loss.
Reasons for Hair Loss
Following are the reasons, how and why a vegetarian or vegan diet causes hair fall:-
- Nutrient deficiencies: A vegetarian or vegans diet has deficiencies in nutrients that are important for healthy hair, like protein, iron, and zinc. These nutrients are in animal-based foods, which are essential for hair.
- Too much soy: Using a Large amount of soy-based products, such as tofu and soy milk, may lead to hair loss due to the presence of phytoestrogens, which can cause a problem in balancing hormones in the body. Soy can affect the thyroid, especially if iodine levels are inadequate or if someone has severe thyroid problems.
- Bad food choices: A Vegan or vegetarian diet is healthy, but in the Veganism’s lifestyle consuming a diet with too many processed foods and refined sugars can also lead to hair loss.
Additional reasons for hair loss you should know:-
Including above mentioned dietary reasons, under mentioned common reasons may also cause hair loss in the veganism lifestyle:-
- Weight Loss: Weight loss can cause hair loss in some people, but there is no direct cause-and-effect connection. Extreme dieting or surgery can cause a lack of nutrients, such as protein and vitamins in the body, which keep hair healthy and will lead to hair loss.
- Genetic Conditions: Hair loss may be caused by genetic conditions such as male or female pattern baldness, alopecia areata, and scarring alopecia. Male and female baldness is also the reason for hair loss. Hair loss is more common in people whose parents or family lose hair at an early age.
- Aging: The aging process leads to hair loss, which is very usual in men as compared to women.
- Hormonal Changes: Hormonal changes may cause hair lossin men and women. Several hormones can contribute to hair loss, including testosterone, dihydrotestosterone (DHT), and estrogen.
- Skin Shedding: Temporary baldness can be caused by some skin medications, such as retinoids and chemotherapy agents. Once the cause of excessive skin shedding is resolved, the hair usually grows back. So, people following veganism may also face above stated reasons for hair loss except for dietary reasons or lifestyle.
How Vegans Prevent Hair Loss
Following actions are required to be taken by vegans to get desired results to the question “What is veganism and how to prevent hair loss?”:-
- Take advice from a Dermatologist or Doctor if you are experiencing hair loss due to being vegan.
- Vegans may use following products for hair growth after taking the opinion, advice, and recommendation of a doctor, :-
- BIOTIN PLUS
- The Ordinary
- To prevent hair loss, vegetarians or vegans need to make sure they are getting enough of the nutrients the body needs for healthy hair growth. Like protein, iron, zinc, and vitamins and minerals such as biotin, vitamin D, and vitamin B12.
- Pay attention to soy intake and make sure you are eating assorted and well-balanced food.
- In addition to the above, pl ensure the following actions to avoid hair loss:-
- Eat a diet that contains enough biotin.
- Get enough zinc from food or by taking a zinc supplement.
- Get protein from lentils, tofu, oats, etc.
- Use Plant-based iron sources for ensuring sufficient blood flow to your hair.
- Take vitamin B12 every day.
- Use enough nuts.
- Hence, people with having veganism lifestyle or dietary choice, should follow above stated preventive measures that will help in hair health.
A conclusive answer to the question “what is veganism and how to prevent hair loss?” is that it is a dietary choice in which vegans use a vegetarian diet that’s why they called vegans and excluding animal-based diet will not provide enough amount of vitamins and nutrients so that will result in hair loss.
Veganism does not seem to cause hair loss conclusively. Genetics, hormonal imbalances, certain medications, and underlying health conditions can all lead to hair loss. A person on any diet can undergo hair loss.
In the absence of a proper diet plan and adequate nutrition, a vegan may suffer from hair loss. Moreover, if you are experiencing hair loss or other concerning symptoms, it is always a smart idea to speak with a healthcare professional.